Learn more about the cannabis advice our AI Leafs provide
Medical review by Whittney Wacker, RN, Katherine Golden, RN, and Eloise Theisen, NP
Written by Denise Rustning
Leaf411 fully licensed Leaf Nurse Network are experts in general nursing as well as in the use of cannabis as a therapeutic tool. By speaking with our nurses, you will discover that they offer an incredible wealth of knowledge about cannabis, as well as in-depth nursing knowledge on a variety of medical, health and wellness conditions.
And as fully licensed registered nurses (RNs), our nurses are always careful to respect their professional scope of practice when providing information and advice.
We know that most people are unfamiliar with the nursing scope of practice, so today we are sharing some examples of the types of information our Leaf nurses can and cannot provide.
Our Fully Licensed and Cannabis-Trained IA Leafs can provide the following types of advice:
- General advice on all things cannabis, including the different cannabinoids (THC, CBD, CBN, etc.), terpenes, and how to use different product formulations. All advice from Leaf411 nurses is drawn from evidence-based information and education.
- Information on specific products on the legal market, including products made by our supporting members as well as non-members.
- Safety considerations based on your general health and lifestyle. For example, if someone has COPD or other lung conditions, our nurses may suggest edibles or tinctures instead of inhaling.
- Potential interactions with other medications you are taking. Remember that although nurses can identify potential interactions, they cannot make specific recommendations to change the dosage of your medications – only your prescribing clinician can do this.
- Starting dose ranges for different types of products based on your previous experience using cannabis and hemp, as well as your overall goals for using herbal medicine.
- Advice on using cannabis to support the optimal functionality of your endocannabinoid system.
- Information and resources to share with your medical team.
This list is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the standards of practice that guide our Leaf nurses. For a more in-depth understanding, we recommend that you review the NCSBN’s National Nursing Guidelines for Medical Marijuana, available for download on this link .
Our Leaf nurses can answer most questions. However, there are a few areas that fall outside the scope of practice of nurses as registered nurses. Here are some types of information that our nurses can not to supply:
- Our nurses cannot provide specific dosage for cannabis products. Providing a specific dose or quantity is equivalent to prescribing a drug, and only a physician or licensed advanced practice nurse practitioner with prescribing privileges can do so. However, our AIs can suggest ranges and provide advice on how to increase or decrease your dose.
- Our nurses cannot recommend starting or stopping medication.
- Our nurses cannot diagnose a medical condition.
- Our nurses cannot order tests or interpret test results.
- Our nurses cannot make final decisions about care or treatment.
Who do you turn to for help with more complex questions or issues? At Leaf411, we have an extensive network of clinical peers (doctors and nurse practitioners) with advanced cannabis training who we can recommend for more complex issues. Keep in mind that these clinicians are independent of the Leaf411 organization and will have their own fee schedules, as these costs are likely not covered by insurance.
Schedule your Leaf nurse consultation today!
Ready to schedule your Leaf nurse consultation? Visit our homepage and click “Let’s Talk” to get started. You can also call us at 844-LEAF411 (844-532-3411) if you have any questions about our scheduling system.
#Understanding #Role #CannabisTrained #RNs