I’ve been a nerd aficionado since the tender age of about 8 (when the sugar rush helped me survive the boredom of my brothers’ Little League games). But nerd strings takes my love for these crunchy, sweet, tangy pellets of sugary goodness to a whole new level. It’s everything you love about nerds, but with a gummy bear in the center. That in and of itself is a thing, but then some genius, in a fit of stoner brilliance, realized you could take that already solid concoction and add weed to it, and the cannabis community was never again the same.
Nerd Ropes edibles are basically everything you could want in an infused treat. They are sweet and tart with the perfect mix of gummy and crunchy texture, not to mention beautiful to look at. In this article, we’ll teach you the ins and outs of crafting a batch of nerd strings that would make Wonka himself proud.
As with any DIY edible business, the devil is in the details. Especially when it comes to determining potency. If you overdo it on the amount of THC you incorporate into your infused nerd ropes, you could have a very long night. A friend of Hail Mary Jane found herself at a CBD conference not too long ago and someone she met handed her a string of homemade nerds to try. She was living in Colorado at the time and mentioned that she had tickets to the famous outdoor venue, Red Rocks Amphitheater, that night. “Red Rocks, huh,” said the guy she was talking to. “Then you shouldn’t take this, you need this one,” and exchanged the one he had just given her with a shot from deep in his bag. Maybe she’d had a few too many puffs from the vape pen before heading to the conference, but the meaning of that statement flew past her. Fast forward to the next day, the ‘CBD-infused’ hangover remedy and the 400mg of THC it contained, had him rocking back and forth in a ball, unable to speak and question all his life decisions. So be careful, friends. Start small, whether in portion size or potency, and gradually increase in order to have the best experience.
How to Make Nerd Rope (Easiest Way)
As is often the case in this world, there is an easy path and a difficult path. Personally, I’m all about simplicity, so let’s start with the easiest way to make nerd strings. Don’t worry gifted ones, we’ll get back to you in a minute.
Nerds Rope Edibles Recipe (Equipment and Instructions)
- Squeeze Bottle – You can pick these up at most dollar stores or on the interwebs
- Aluminum and/or silicone molds
- Liquid measuring cup with spout
- Microwave or saucepan
- Cooking spray (we prefer coconut oil, but any will work)
- Nerds – at least two 10 oz. boxes (but if you order from Amazon and end up with 60 by accident, that’s not the worst thing in the world, is it?)
- Gummi Bears – 1 cup (we ended up with 5 pounds, but we’re also a stoner post, so we’ll see they won’t go to waste)
- Infused Coconut Oil (see our reviews of the Levo II for a machine that makes this simple and crazy or check out our How to make cannabis butter article on how to make it with a slow cooker or a home oven)
Rope THC Nerds
- Take a large piece of aluminum foil and fold it into an accordion shape
- Gently separate to make “indentations” in foil and spread on cookie sheet.
- Spray the pans with coconut oil (or another type of non-stick oil).
- Place 1 cup of gummy bears in the glass liquid measuring cup and place in the microwave. Heat over high heat for 20-30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of infused coconut oil.
- Mix well
- Pour into the squeeze bottle.
- Pour the Nerds candy into the hollows of the foil. If using silicone molds, fill 1/3-1/2 full with Nerds.
- Use the squeeze bottle to make lines of the gummy mixture on the nerds. 2 lines should be enough.
- Top with an extra layer of Nerds.
- Refrigerate for an hour or let stand overnight.
How to Make Medicated Edibles With Nerd Rope (The Hard Way)
So it’s not necessarily difficult, but if you’re make your own erasers instead of using pre-made gummy bears, there are more steps involved. But, in return for your hard work, you’ll get bragging rights, so it’s gotta be worth something, right? And realistically, it’s not that difficult. No more difficult than mixing a bowl of Jell-O anyway.
All of the above steps remain essentially the same except for making the gummy mix separately.
Rope Nerds Ingredients
- Large packet (6 oz) of flavored gelatin or Jell-o
- 4 envelopes of gelatin (unflavored)
- ½ cup cold water (we like to substitute with juices like pineapple or cranberry for extra flavor)
- 4 tbsp cannabis-infused oil or tincture (we prefer coconut oil ourselves, but that’s you!)
- Combine Jell-o packet with 4 packets of gelatin and whisk together in a saucepan
- Add water or juice to mix with cannabis-infused oil or tincture
- Increase the heat and bring to a low boil
- Reduce heat to low while stirring continuously
- Let the mixture simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes until everything is well mixed
- Pour into squeeze bottle (for nerd rope) and/or silicone molds (if using excess for traditional gummies)
- Other steps related to the DIY Nerds Rope Edibles instructions above
How to Store Nerds Rope Edibles
Unfortunately, Nerd Ropes don’t particularly lend themselves to freezing, so the best way to store them is to place them in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week. After that, the gummy center may get chewier. Looks like you’re having the next seven days happily ever after…not exactly what we’d call a tragedy.
Variations on Classic Nerds Strings
You can use any nerd flavor and any flavor (or a mix of gummy bears). For the nerds, we used the rainbow, but the watermelon/cherry combo is great for Christmas gifts, and you can’t go wrong with the timeless classic grape/strawberry combo.
Are Nerd Ropes vegan?
Certainly not. Most Nerds flavors contain a substance called carmine, which is basically crushed insects and frequently used as a dye. Gelatin, found in gummy bears, is a protein obtained by boiling skin, tendons, ligaments and/or bones with water, usually from pigs or cows.
Can you make Vegan Nerds Ropes?
The answer is yes and no. It can certainly be done, but only with limited flavors and special ingredients that aren’t always easy to get your hands on (though Amazon’s age means you can get almost anything if you plan ahead) . Carmine isn’t listed on the Nerds Watermelon/Cherry Combo, so you’re safe with those flavors at least. You will also need to find a vegan gummy product or recipe for the center. There are companies that sell pre-made vegan gummies (almighty Google can show the way) or you can make your own.
How to make infused vegan gummies
This recipe calls for only four ingredients:
- 1 cup natural juice of your choice
- 2 teaspoons of agar-agar powder
- infused oil or tincture (1-4 tablespoons depending on desired dosage)
- 2-3 tbsp sweetener (we prefer agave, but you can also use sugar or maple syrup).
Simply combine the ingredients, bring to a boil, then boil for 1 minute, stirring frequently. Allow the mixture to cool for 5-10 minutes (long enough that it is no longer extremely hot to the touch but not too long that it begins to harden). Transfer to a squeeze bottle and use for nerd ropes (quick! before the mix hardens!) or pop into a silicone mold, let sit 10-20 minutes, and viola, a PETA-approved vegan treat!
Is Nerds Rope discontinued?
No. The non-medicated version of Nerd Ropes is still available online and at retailers nationwide.
How to calculate power nerd rope
- Calculate how many grams of flower you used to make your cannabutter/cannaoil.
- Multiply this number by 1000 to convert it to milligrams.
- Multiply this number by the percentage of THC (or CBD) in your flower (so if the flower has 15% THC, you would multiply by 0.15, not 15)
- The final number will be the total amount of THC in your entire batch.
- Divide that by the number of nerd strings you craft.
For example, let’s say you used a quarter of the Smarties Strain flowers with a THC level of 22%. A quarter ounce equals just over 7 grams.
- 7 x 1000 = 7000
- 7000 x 0.22 = 1540 mg of THC in the entire batch
- Final yield = 25 nerd strings, so 1540 divided by 25 = 61.6 mg of THC per full string (divide by number of sections if cut into smaller portions)
An (important) caveat
Medicated Nerds Rope Edibles (and all homemade edibles for that matter) are intended for personal use only. Don’t try to sell them. In January 2020, twenty-four people were arrested following a year-long investigation dubbed “Operation on the Ropes”. Authorities seized 21,000 candies totaling more than 100,000 individual doses.
#Nerds #Rope #Edibles #Hail #Mary #Jane