Dabbing can seem quite complicated. There are special tools, several parts, new terms and a small butane torch (that’s the cream burned involved?) However, there is a reason why dabs are so popular, despite the learning curve of how to smoke dabs. Weed concentrates as dabs pack a much stronger THC punch than flowers or edibles, up to 98% THC. This makes them ideal for anyone who has built a high tolerancemedical patients in need of additional medical assistance or cannabis users who would like to rocket the THC rocket into the stratosphere.
If you are a beginner who is just starting to soak in concentratesPotGuide is here with some helpful hints and tips on how to smoke dabs.
Ways to smoke dabs
Whatever the shape of your concentrate takes, whether it’s sticky oils like resin or rosin, drying concentrates like wax or shatter, crumbly forms like bubble hash, the idea is the same.
Take your hashish, apply it to a heated place (preferably in the “low temperature” buffer range) surface, inhale the vaporized oil and get a real high. When it comes to smoking dabs, the three big options, especially for beginners, are dab rigs, dab straws, and dab pens. Most dab fans learn to smoke dabs using a dab rig, so we’ll start there.
How To Consume Cannabis Concentrates With A Dab Rig (For Beginners)
A buffer platform looks a lot like your standard bong, and the idea is the same. However, dabs are a bit more complicated and require special tools.
Basic stamping tools
Buffer platform – Like a bong, but with a titanium or quartz dab nail where the bowl usually goes. Much like a bong, the concentrated vapor bubbles through the water chamber to the mouthpiece, cooling it.
Nail – The bowl of your assembly (usually metal, ceramic or quartz). After heating the nail with your torch, this is where you will deposit your concentrate with your dabber.
dab – A thin dental-looking tool (usually metal or glass) to put concentrate on your heated nail. If you’re dabbing with drier concentrates like shatter or wax, you’ll want to use the flat end of the dabber. If you’re dabbing with a stickier resin or oil, use the thinner end.
Torch – A propane/butane powered mini torch to heat your dab nail.
Before we get into how to smoke dabs with a rig, just know that the temperature of your dab nail makes a big difference in both flavor and effects. Most beginners learn to smoke dabs at higher temperatures because it’s easier, which means a stronger but harder hit.
How to smoke your dab:
- Using your dabber, scoop out a small amount of concentrate. It should be no bigger than a crumb or the size of a small grain of rice.
- turn on your dab the torch and touch the flame to the nail for about 30 seconds. Turn off the torch and set it aside.
- Allow the nail to cool for 30 seconds to a minute (depending on your nail), or until the temperature is between 350℉ and 400℉.
- Using your dabber, dab your concentrate onto the inner lip of the hot nail. The concentrate should vaporize as it touches the metal.
- Place your lips over the mouthpiece and inhale slowly. Vapor will travel from the nail down through the water chamber, then back up through the mouthpiece and into your lungs.
- Exhale the steam. Expect to cough a lot if you are a beginner.
Smoking concentrates without a rig
As we said above, there are two other options for beginners who don’t want to smoke dabs with a rig: dab straws (AKA nectar collectors) and stamp pens.
How to smoke dabs with a dab straw
A dab straw is a long glass tube with a titanium or ceramic dabbing tip at one end and a mouthpiece at the other. This is a more portable, simple (and cheaper) option than smoking dabs with a rig, as you only need the straw, a torch and a container of concentrates . But unless your dabbing straw has a water chamber, it will be a hotter vapor.
How to smoke a nectar collector:
- Hold your dabbing straw in one hand with the tip of the dabber angled down.
- Light your dab torch and just touch the end of the flame to the tip of the dab.
- Twist the dabbing straw to distribute the heat evenly until it begins to glow.
- Wait a few seconds for the tip to cool.
- Pick up your open concentrate container.
- Inhale gently from the mouthpiece while brushing the tip of your dab straw over the edges of your hash.
- Next, lay your dabbing straw on a flat surface to cool with the hot end angled up.
How to smoke a dab pen
If you are looking for the easiest way to smoke dabs, especially for beginners, stamp pens are. A dab pen (commonly known as a vape pen) can come in two forms, as a cartridge or self-charging. The way you smoke a dab pen is simple. For cartridges, you just screw it onto the battery, press a button and inhale – they even make models without buttons.
Self-charging dab pens are basically puffy vape pens with a puffy heating plate or ceramic bowl. To use a self-loading dab pen, unscrew the mouthpiece, place your concentrate inside the bowl, then screw the mouthpiece back on. Adjust the temperature setting, press the button and inhale.
The best ways to smoke dabs
Whether you smoke with a dab rig, dab straw, or dab pen, the best way to smoke dabs, especially as a beginner, is the most fun and easiest way for you (and preferably with friends). Although dabs are a little more complicated than flowers, they’re here to be enjoyed no matter how you smoke them.
What’s your favorite way to smoke dabs? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
Photo credit: Shutterstock